Sunday, August 1, 2010

jeanne the journalist

Since I’ve started blogging I can’t help but reminisce about my days as a journalist……..in high school……..Whitesboro High School. Oh, I had aspirations, real dreams to become a writer for some big name newspaper. It all started when we lived in the Main Street house in Cleburne when I was about ten. Our neighbor, Cissy Stewart, lived with her mother and mentally handicapped son, and she was a journalist! She wrote for the society section of the Ft. Worth Star Telegram. That didn’t really mean much to me until she traveled to New York on some kind of business trip. When she came back she brought me a stuffed dog that came with a pen so your friends could write their autographs on it. I thought I was truly uptown now that I had this New York dachshund. So from that moment on, if being a journalist meant being able to travel to places like New York then I was in. I actually remember writing little stories even at that age. So now, fast forward five or six years and that puts me on the newspaper staff of the WHS Bearcat newspaper. Good ol' Mr. Sluder! He had such high hopes for me when I succeeded in bringing home trophies for UIL feature writing competition. I had good intentions. In college, I majored in journalism. So what happened, you ask? Well, you probably didn’t ask but I’ll tell you anyway. It starts with a B and ends with a B. Yep, Bob happened. And I’ve never looked back. Oh, I guess I’d have to admit that there have been a couple of times I’ve asked myself, “what if”, but I know deep inside of me that I’ve been able to do exactly what I was meant to do. I still get pure satisfaction from keeping our home and watching our kids become responsible adults. And during the last 30 years I’ve actually spread the most important news of all to lots of children by teaching God’s Word to them. So could I have been a Charles Krauthammer? (might as well shoot for the big time!) Who knows? Maybe! But would I switch places if I could? Nope! So I’ll just assuage my journalistic fervor and blog!