Thursday, August 19, 2010

jiggity jog!

Who agrees with me when I say that the best part of a vacation is when you return to and so appreciate home sweet home? But we did enjoy our trip with all the little glitches that went with it. I told you I'd show you our sweet little bird houses so here's the finished product. Can you guess who's is whose?? :) It was so much fun to paint them and it just reinforces how creative Linda is to even think of such a thing.
Here are all of the bird houses that they've collected or visitors have painted. This is their back fence and I should have taken a picture of the whole yard because it's very pretty. The grass is different than we have here and it's very green. They do have to water a lot because it doesn't rain much there in the summer but the Empson's have a sprinkling system so it's not a problem.
We said our goodbyes on Tuesday afternoon and drove our little rental car back to Salt Lake City. We stayed in the coolest little retro hotel in downtown SLC called The Metropolitan Inn. We'd already returned the rent car but were really hungry so we ended up walking a couple of blocks to MacDonald's at 10 p.m. We were REALLY hungry! Just as we cozied down in our beds the alarm rang at 2:15 a.m. (yes, that's what I said) because our train departed at 4 and we were supposed to be there at 3. We were wide eyed and bushy tailed (Can you believe it? Another Momism jumped right out there!) though and enjoyed the whole experience. Our cab driver was a round little bald man (sort of reminded me of Shrek) who was apparently a descendent of General Grant (yep, the Civil War one). Pretty much a great and humorous way to start the day.

The train ride was so much better than the first time. That time was okay except for the not sleeping thing but this one was just overall a better experience. Here are a few samples of our 15 hour jaunt.




Thank you so much for joining us on our journey to Idaho. It was lots of fun to share it with you. Dad's already talking about where he wants to go next so I guess I'd better start saving my energy. Where does he get all of his, by the way?? It's an enigma!
I plan to keep writing if anybody wants to keep reading. I find it very satisfying to just talk about such insignificant little snipits of life! Till next time...........