Monday, August 23, 2010

Sixteen firsts!


Along with about a million other people it was my first day back at school........as a crossing guard! It's the first day of my sixteenth year doing this fun little job at Newton Rayzor Elementary and I've always considered it a blessing. When I started, Kaylee was in fourth grade at Rayzor and the little old man that had been there before was not there that fall. I figured I could probably hold a stop sign up and I was going to be there anyway so I decided to apply. And the rest is history! The picture montage is courtesy of my sister, Linda. She took the picture in October of last year when she was visiting from Idaho. She created this as a page in my dad's annual calendar she makes for him. I think I look very official. :) I've seen lots and lots of kids grow up and move on to middle school and the next thing I know they'll drive by in a car going to high school. A job like this can make you feel old. I figured it out and a first grader the year I started would now be 21! Yikes!! One of the most special moments that I've experienced doing this job is when about 10 or 12 years ago a mom handed me a card with this Helen Keller quote attached:

I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief
duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble .