Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Dedicated to Aunt Eddie

On this the eve of the fourth annual Niece/Cousin Camp I've decided to dedicate it this year to my late Aunt Eddie. I can't really remember what prompted me to create a camp for my nieces (and now nephew, thanks to Damien) but I'm sure that my memories of Aunt Eddie and her creative spirit was part of the formation. I don't know how old I was and I only have snapshot memories but she would take time to make crafts with some of us Walton kids and there was even once when I remember going bowling with her and Jim. One time we painted ceramics and I still have a stone cat that I decoupaged with fabric in a quilted style. The fabric pieces are mostly gone now and what's left is pretty much in tatters but I love it and have dragged it around with me since that time in my childhood. (It's very heavy, by the way! I think it was supposed to be a door stop or something.) But what means more to me than the actual crafts or activities is the fact that Aunt Eddie took the time to be creative and participate with us. Some might say that she was just looking for companionship for my mentally retarded cousin, Jim, and that may be partly true. But I remember a quiet and cheerful spirit so I choose to believe that she enjoyed every minute with that little girl that I was. As I've thought about her influence over these last few weeks in my planning of Cousin Camp, I so wish I had told her before she passed away how special those moments were and to be able to share with her how her generosity with her time and creativity have had a part in the creation of the time that I now spend with my fun, happy, and just plain amazing nieces and nephew. So Aunt Eddie, these next few days are dedicated to you. Thank you!