Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A View from the Crosswalk--Y'all

Because of the two universities here, Denton is kind of a melting pot of races and nationalities.  And since my crosswalk is near one of them it's a smaller version of the same.  There's one very small first grade girl from India named Mahati.  I think she was actually born here because she is very Americanized........and quite a little spitfire. 

The other morning when she and her dad came to my corner I greeted her by saying, "Mahati, are you ready for Monday?".  She gave me the most confused expression and almost stopped in the middle of the street before she asked me, "Why did you say Mondee?"..........I laughed SO hard at that one and then told her, "Well, because I'm from Texas, of course!". 

I think I do pronounce the days of the week correctly most of the time but every once in awhile the accent presents itself.  And I'm pretty happy about that!