Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A View from the Crosswalk collides with The Happy List

Valentine's Day is definitely my favorite holiday and I do love it because of its whole meaning, of course, but that's not as much of a draw as the fact that it's not necessarily a Christian holiday. Don't get me wrong.  Celebrating the fact that Jesus was born and later that He rose from the grave are of foremost importance to me but I do hate that we Christians have allowed Satan to muddle up those holidays and distort them almost to the point of being unrecognizable.  But there's nothing to muddle up about Valentine's Day.  It's just a fun little pause to remember to tell very special people how much you love them.  

But now I'll get to the point of this post, how my crosswalk and my happy list collide: Almost every morning, the first to walk across the street is a tiny boy that’s in kindergarten.  He always blesses me with a smile and a look that says, “Look at me!  I’m walking across the street by myself!”  Well, this morning he wore an even bigger smile and before he  stepped into the street he had his left arm outstretched in preparation to show me his little fist.  I spotted a cute little smiley face on the back of his hand and as he got closer, he said, “It’s a tattoo.  Her name’s Miss Smiley.”  Oh my goodness, I get so much joy out of watching these little guys get so much joy from simple pleasures.

And not long after he made his way into the school, another of my regulars walked across with her dad and brother.  She's in first grade and seems to be a tomboy, always sloppy in sweat pants or jeans.  Well, today she had on one of those petticoat kind of skirts that's so popular and it was red, huge, full, and flouncy.  All feminine today on this wonderfully feminine and flouncy holiday.

Lot's of joy and happy to be found on this Valentine's Day at the crosswalk!