Sunday, February 12, 2012

Aunt Foy

My Aunt Foy moved to Denton five or six years ago to be closer to her daughter, my cousin Kathryn, and it's been such a pleasure to have the opportunity to visit with her more and get to know her a little better.

When I think of Aunt Foy, two things usually come to mind. When I see old pictures of her I always think of glamour in the movies-of-the-forties kind of way. She has always dressed in a smart and classy way while being comfortable and I think she has influenced my decisions when it comes to clothing, although I could never claim to have her natural ability to look that way.

The other attribute that sticks out to me about Aunt Foy is that she's always been a good cook. Any time we'd visit her, when she and Uncle Hamilton still lived at home, she'd always have a spread ready and it always included some sort of dessert. One such dessert is called "Dark Cake". She recently blessed me with the recipe and the background to go along with it.  This was the cake that was served in the elementary school that Aunt Foy and my Dad attended in Joshua in the late 1920's.  My grandmother, Mombo, asked the school cook for the recipe and so eighty plus years later it's being passed down to another generation.  

Besides getting to know her better, another blessing I've received from Aunt Foy is some quilt blocks. She inherited them from Mombo but she doesn't remember if Mombo actually made them. After looking at them I think they may have been made by several different people and collected by one. Anyway, the name of the block is "Sunbonnet Sue" and it's one of the most common quilt blocks. But there's nothing common about these in that they've all been done in those fabulous flour sack fabrics from the 20's and 30's. So I've spent the last year piecing and quilting them together  to make yet another treasure quilt. 

Here's a close-up example of one of the adorable blocks so you can see the great fabric. This quilt and the recipe (Kaylee has already claimed it as a favorite of hers) will always be a loving reminder of my Aunt Foy.