Saturday, February 11, 2012

A View From the Crosswalk--Rewind

When I first started my job as crossing guard 17 years ago it didn't occur to me that I'd need to actually learn how to do the job.  I mean, what skills do you need to hold up a stop sign, right?  Well, to be honest, not many, but it did take me a little bit to get it down.  I remember one mom who gave me a big hint that helped me do the job better and that was kind of springboard that gave me the desire to become the best crossing guard I can be.

During one of my first years, in March of 1998, to be exact, I was pleasantly surprised to see this article about me in the paper.  What a boost!  And I've not forgotten it.  Some days I don't feel like smiling at all, especially when it's 30 degrees and/or pouring down rain but those days are really few and far between.  Every once in awhile this article comes to mind and it somehow clarifies my purpose and reminds me of what a blessing it is to be able to greet those sweet little faces every morning and send them on their way in the afternoon.  A true pleasure indeed!