Friday, February 24, 2012

Chickens--The Adventure Continues!

I think we may be getting into a pretty good rythm and routine with our new fine feathered friends. And all three are laying so we have eggs galore around here. Fun stuff!


This is their new favorite place to be, aside from their safe haven, the coop.  It's a small garden area under the kitchen window.  They've scraped and pecked it clean.  It's okay.  I don't mind giving them a place to take a bath and lounge around (it's quite an event to watch).  And they have pretty much the run of the whole yard except for my big flower garden and my veggie garden.  I've shooed them away from those a few times but they're pretty cooperative.

Their habits and traits have been so entertaining for Bob and me and, really, it's quite peaceful just to sit back and watch.  

One unexpected and not-so-pleasant event is that they apparently love to hang out on the patio.  The black and white one will come right up and look in the window of the french doors.  She's even pecked on it a couple of times, like she's saying "Hey, why don't you come out and see me!".  She is probably just hungry but I like to think she likes me!   The negative thing about this little scenario is that my patio gets kinda pooped up, if you know what I mean.  Actually, it's not a problem at all to clean but I do have to be diligent.  Hey, at least I'll have a consistantly clean patio!  A bright spot can always be found, I always say.