Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Day 1 of Cousin Camp

Whew!  First day down.........well, till somebody else comes in to say they can't sleep or they need to change beds, or, well, just whatever might come to mind in order to stay up just a little bit longer.  Yes, Cousin Camp has started and I love it!!!! 

 First thing we did was meet at CiCi's Pizza in McKinney. Lily came to my house and the two of us picked my friend, Erica, up (she'll be joining us) and we met the others for pizza.  Here are Suzy and Catherine in the background just counting down the minutes till they can escape (and I was right in there with them) because there were about 900 other people there also.  How do they make so many pizzas so fast?? 

 A friend of mine invited us to come and swim at the Yacht Club outside of Little Elm.  It was a very nice pool and we were the only ones there so it was really great.  We even had a breeze which helped it seem not so..........well, actually nothing can make it feel not so hot these days. 

The ones you might not recognize are the girl on the far left and the boy next to her.  Those are the grandkids of my good friend Carmen.  Jarvis and Madeline were very friendly and hit it off with my kiddos.  The girl next to me is Erica, a friend I've been hanging out with for about a year and she's a big sweetheart so I asked her to join us for Cousin Camp this year. 

Carmen treated us to a walk down to the dock to see one of their sailboats they keep out there.

After swimming we came to my house, got settled into the sleeping arrangements (which was no small task), had a cold popsicle and started our trek down the street to Sonic.  Yeah, I know!  Anybody is crazy to walk anywhere in this heat but walking to Sonic on our first evening is apparantly an unalterable tradition.  So here we are for the fifth year posing with the carhop of the moment.  It was the first time we've ever had a guy.  He was a pretty good sport about being in a picture with a bunch of crazy cousins!  
I did convice them to let Bob come and pick us up though.  Only after promising them they'd get to ride around the block in the back!  Hey, I'll make deals when I have to!

  The last thing on the list for the day was craft time.  This year Kaylee found this great little rug idea that we made on a hula hoop.  Kaylee and Erin were the only ones to finish.  We'll work on them again tomorrow.  Hopefully!
So finally it was bedtime. Let me just tell  you.  It's no easy task getting seven hyper kids to go to sleep on demand!
I'll tell you what else is harder and more frustrating!  Trying to maneuver pictures and paragraphs on this blog to try to make it look any kind of decent.  So tomorrow night I think I'll let Erin or Lily do the blog.  After all, they're 12 and that makes them much more suited for the task.