Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Santa Suit

photo by Kaylee Jacobs
Catch her latest venture at
http://myownwhitehouse.blogspot.com/
It looks like a small simple Santa suit but its history is one of family memories and tradition.

When my little brother, Kelly (the youngest of six children) was about five years old my mother made him this Santa suit.  I don’t know if there was a more official intent like a Christmas program at school or church, but ultimately he wore it for our family that year when my mom had him pass out gifts to each person.

When he grew out of it I’m sure the suit was packed away but when Kelly was ten, the first grandchild, Stephanie was born.  When she turned five, the suit, along with the job of handing out presents was passed to her.  So started the family tradition of the Santa suit.  Each of the twelve grandchildren has taken a turn at wearing the suit and passing out the presents.  And now the job has been cerimonially bestowed upon  the great grandchildren.
 
I’m sure when my mom stitched up the little suit she had no idea it would still be used after forty years.  But since she passed away a few years back, not only is the Santa suit assignment a sweet tradition but it’s a reminder of her and how much she loved all things Christmas.