Sunday, December 11, 2011

Cake, a Christmas tree, and Cary!

It's definitely beginning to look a lot like Christmas around here whether I like it or not!  I can often be somewhat of a grinch about Christmas and all the "trappings" but yesterday I was able to grab a little of the mood in spite of myself.  
 
The first item of the day was a SPAN lunch party.  SPAN is the little public transportation company I work part time for.  So I made a cake.  A punch bowl cake!  For you old fogies who remember the 70's and 80's, this was a popular "covered dish" item and it seemed to fit the occasion well.   It's festive and is really fun and easy to put together.  A great way to start this day of Christmas doings. 


Next was Christmas tree time.  A friend told me about a small tree farm in Shady Shores that was reasonably priced so that's what I decided to do.  I get really tired of dealing with dry trees every year and Kaylee refuses to let me get a fake tree (I guess that's what I get for raising her with my strict live Christmas tree rule!  It didn't occur to me then that I'd get old!)  So Kaylee, Bob, and I were able to enjoy the beautiful and sunshiney day and went hunting for the perfect tree!

And here's the end result!  Before the house redo there was never a good place for a Christmas tree but now the "new" living room has a perfect spot!                                             
Now you may be wondering how Cary fits in to this post but, of course, it's Cary Grant!  Sigh!!  Isn't he just the dreamiest?.............but I digress!  Cary stars in the movie, "The Bishop's Wife" and I'd never seen it, which is strange because I love all movies old, and especially those, Cary!  Anyway, I watched it and I'm definitely recommending if for a favorite Christmas movie!  I mean, there are plenty of theological flaws and some liberal thoughts thrown in for good measure but, for Hollywood, it was a pretty good rendition of what Christmas really means.  They even acknowledged that Christmas is about Jesus' birth.  Imagine that!!