Thursday, April 28, 2011

A View From the Crosswalk!

One of my old crosswalk kids walked by today.  My goodness, time sure does get away.  She's two years out of high school already and it seems like just last week she was walking by in her ROTC uniform. 

I asked her what she's doing now and she just smiled so big and said that she had a 10 month old baby girl!  The baby was obviously the light of her life and she is so proud of herself that she works the overnight shift at a nearby store so she can better care for her little one.  And she should be proud of herself.  It sounds like she is properly sacrificing her own life now that she has chosen to bring along another little person to take part in this topsy-turvy world that we live in.  And I will pray that she will continue to do so.  I will pray that the "toy" won't grow stale and annoying and she won't become weary and move on to more interesting activities. 

I am so reminded though of why I love children so much.  They are such innocents, so fresh and full of promise and hope.  And unfortunately for some, people we so call "parents" get hold of them and totally ruin a good thing because of their self centered thinking that the child is here for their entertainment and future success.  I mean, it's only 18 years!  I know that sounds like forever to a 20 year old person but to a 51 year old it's merely "a mist" as James puts it.  Such a short amount of time to give of yourself to "train up a child in the way he should go", teaching them to know God and instilling self discipline and respect for others.  And when you think about it, doing it that way actually turns out to be in the parent's best interest because then the child will grow to respect and honor him or her and everybody can eventually stand back in joy.

So I'll be encouraged!  Encouraged by Megan and her devotion to her tiny one that is so dependent on her .  And encouraged by the many children I see each day that are being raised by parents who CHOOSE second position.