Thursday, December 9, 2010

The two quilts

It's taken me just about three years but I finally finished this heirloom quilt.  It was done by paper piecing which means I stitched and quilted it all by hand except for the border.  The pattern is called grandmother's flower garden and it's one I've always wanted to do.   

I'm also working on another quilt of sorts.  I'm memorizing the book of James and have finished four out of the five chapters.  I've memorized scripture verses on and off over the years but those are like owning pretty scraps of fabric.  They're nice to look at but tend to get stuck off in a drawer somewhere to be used "someday".  Memorizing a whole book has been like putting all the fabrics together to create a beautiful work of art.  It's really been a fascinating experience.  It's more than just saying words by rote.  Every time I go through the verses it's like having a little conversation with Jesus, allowing Him to teach me one on one what He has in mind for me and how He wants me to live my life.  And memorizing a book has actually been surprisingly easy, really even more than memorizing a verse here or there and trying to hang on to it. 

So I'm thankful.  Thankful that God has given me the ability to create something as beautiful as a quilt, and discipline and desire to memorize the beautiful and most important heirloom that is His Word.