Thursday, September 30, 2010

New York and OIAL's

As Kaylee and I are about to soar over the right half of our great country and spend a whirlwind weekend in The Big Apple, it causes me to think about little once-in-a-lifetime experiences I’ve had. Making this trip with Kaylee won’t be one of those because we’ve already been when she graduated from high school in ’04. What makes this potentially OIAL is that we’re meeting my sis-in-law Caryl Ann and her two sweet daughters, Mimi and Lily. There may be another opportunity to go with them but right now it feels like a chance to be scooped up. While thinking about it in this way I couldn’t help but remember back to other OIAL opportunities I’ve had so I thought I’d share them with you!! Aren’t you the lucky ones? Okay, here’s a list of those I could remember:

When I was six-years-old my picture was on the cover of the Baptist Standard, a magazine put out by the BGCT of Texas, a state branch of Southern Baptists. Our church, Joshua Baptist Church, was breaking ground for a new building and the oldest and youngest(me) members of the church got to make the first dig. For some reason, that event rated the cover story.

I was able to sit about 12 feet away from Billy Graham as he preached at the 1980 Baptist World Alliance Convention in Toronto, Canada. I was part of the Wayland Baptist College’s band and we had been invited to perform.

I won $1000 from a radio station.

With that money a friend and I made a trip to Hollywood and I got to be in the audience twice at the Price is Right game show. If they’d picked me now that would really be a OIAL, right? Darn it!

I posed in a picture with a presidential candidate—GO HUCKABEE!! Maybe if all goes well I’ll have posed with a PRESIDENT!!! Can you tell who I’ll be supporting in 2012? That is, if he runs! And if I don't see somebody better! :)

I lived through a remodel and I can guarantee you that it falls in the OIAL category! Glad I did it though!!

That’s all my pea sized 50-year-old memory will allow for now! I hope you’ll comment and share your OIAL experiences. I’d love to hear them! Meanwhile I’ll be blogging about our trip. New York, here we come!!!