Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Me, Ebby, and Trouble!

I made it!  I finished Ebby School last month and part of the reward was meeting the great lady herself, Ebby Halliday!  She was nothing by gracious and so very nice.  It's no wonder she has been such a successful icon in the DFW area.  
 
I might not have mentioned in my post about starting this real estate career but let me just say here and now........THIS IS THE HARDEST THING I'VE EVER DONE IN MY LIFE!!
 
And if that's not sufficient whining, somebody get the violin tuned because, it's hard enough learning how to be a real estate agent.  Just try learning to be one and be me at the same time!!  Not kidding!  I'm the fifth in a family of six and, truly, I think my parents ran out of brain organizing genes by the time they got to me.
 
Here's just a few examples of some of my foibles of late:
1. This last weekend I was manipulating my way through a HUD deal so was talking to the listing agent with the property.  To make things easier I entered his number into my contacts and away we went.  Oh, I was feeling very professional as I dealt with him about HUD details.  In the midst of all that Bob and I were texting each other and, imagine my embarassment, when my text to Bob somehow got sent to this guy I'd only just met!  And it happened twice!  Are you kidding me???  I mean, phone, if you're going to send my text somewhere it's not supposed to go, did it have to be to a stranger?  Sigh!
 
2.  On Sunday I hosted an open house for another agent in our office and, afterward, I was kind of in a hurry to get home.  Well, as soon as I walked in the door I realized I had left my three Open House signs at the house!  See, now aren't you glad you're not me?
 
3.  Here's another one about HUD houses.  Apparently, when a house is being sold by the government, they don't leave the utilities on.  I was showing five houses that day and saved the HUD ones till the end.......after dark, of course!  Ugh!
 
So that's kind of how my life goes.  And all of that was just last week!  But while I didn't get many brain organizing genes, I got lots of shake it off and move forward genes because that's just what I do.  I'm still working with this young couple after all of the HUD and light fiasco so apparently all is not lost........or maybe they just feel sorry for me.........sigh again!
 
While this little real estate venture is truly one of the hardest things I've ever done, at the same time I'm getting to meet a lot of new people, I'm beginning to enjoy the challenge, and I'm actually starting to just have a lot of straight up fun.  I might even sell a house one of these days!  : )