Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Four States In One Day!

We woke up to a beautiful sunshiny 73 degree day in Ronk, PA, just outside Lancaster. Our motel was a little less than desirable but there were waffles waiting for us in the morning so all was forgiven. I love waffles!
 
After breakfast our plan was to follow a route that would take us to see some covered bridges but that didn't work out so well. I'm blaming it on the instructions we had. But all was not lost. During our little hunt for bridges we were able to see mile after mile of beautiful rolling hills and Amish farms. What a beautiful day God blessed us with in our goal for the morning.
After driving around for about two hours and before continuing on our journey we stopped to get gas and I saw this neat little buggy beside the parking lot.  So I decided to take advantage of the photo op.
 
And Kaylee decided to be funny!  No, I don't normally wear my hair that way!  Actually, I laughed pretty hard for about the next hour.
And then we were off......again!  It was about an hour's drive to Philadelphia and we found ourselves in a big city again.  But what a city!  I just can't get over the age of all the buildings in PA.  Our plan was to gain a little history knowledge so we headed straight for Independence Hall to get our tickets for entrance a little later in the day. 
 
Apparently our waffles weren't sufficient or maybe it was the weather.  But we were so hungry by that time so we headed out to find a cheese steak stand that Kaylee had read about.  We walked a little over a mile which was fine because we'd been in the car so much the last couple of days AND we got to see lots more of Philly.  And it was so interesting.  And old, of course.  And so different from Denton! Love that! 
 
And the cheese steak was amazing! So worth the walk.  There were two little competing stands and both were busy.  We shared a sandwich and some fries (that were really yummy too!) We were so hungry we forgot to take a picture till after we were finished.  Here's the leftovers.  Oops, there are none!        
Here's Kaylee posing where we ate.
Of course we had to take the obligatory picture in front of the liberty bell.
And then Independence Hall
At about 3 we continued on our journey which took us through Trenton, NJ.  Hmmmm!  I guess all I'll say about that is that it sure was different from our drive through the mountains of PA.  I love America! 
 
I was so proud of us!  With Kaylee driving and me navigating, we maneuvered our way through New Jersey and just north of New York City like pros!  And in rush hour traffic to boot!  Yay us!!  Yeah, and while I was sure excited to see all there was to see I don't think I'll be too anxious to do it again.  I mean other than the traffic it's just.....well, crowded.  I mean, in some places, on either side of the road there just wasn't any room.  Stores and houses were just right there.  
 
This picture isn't very good and it doesn't even do justice to the view we actually saw but I took this when we were crossing the Washington Bridge in New Jersey.  The view was of Manhattan.  I just couldn't believe we were there!    
We made it through rush hour traffic and then hit Connecticut, a whole different world.  It was getting dark and we were on a highway so we couldn't see much but enough to be sad that we couldn't see more.  We drove along the coast so, as the sun set, we could see a little of the water between the trees.  We stopped at a Denny's like restaurant to get a late supper and then drove the last hour to Hartford where we stayed the night.  Brand new Super 8!  Much better than the night before.