Thursday, May 31, 2012

A View from the Crosswalk--It's a wrap!

Sigh!  I'm so ready for a break from the crosswalk but the last day always makes me sad.  It means change, transition, a move forward into the unkown.  In other words, it's the end of my 17th year and I'm old.  That's all there is to it.  But is it?  

This is the first year I've kind of gotten emotional about the end.  The looming luxury of sleeping in at least a couple of days out of the week and knowing for sure I'll be back iin the fall usually override any sadness I would feel.  At this point I'm planning on being back but maybe this time, I'm just not sure.  Or maybe my loathing of good-bye's and change is growing with increasing strength as I age.

It doesn't help that it's Colt's last year.  I met Colt when he was a little toddler and his mom would walk the older two siblings across the street.  I mean, seriously, where did these six years go?  As he made his way across the street this afternoon he gave me a big ol' hug and thanked me for always walking them across. 

Then there's Cody.  Cody is the grandson of an old friend of mine and he lives down the street from me.  When Cody was about four his mom died and so he has lived with his grandmother  ever since.  He is now graduated from elementary school and I've given him a ride almost every year since he started.  I'll miss his fun personality in the mornings. 

 And Janina too.  I also met her as a toddler and, even though she's been a little more sporadic than Colt, she's walked across every year since.  Janina's mom is very Americanized but from the middle east and still speaks with a strong accent.  As they both walked across this afternoon the mom thanked me "for your kindness".  Wait!  Where did those tears come from?  Sometimes I go way overboard into sentimental territory.

Okay, before I put the stop sign away for the summer, it's time to hold it up in front of myself and  put an end to my sappy silliness.  Time to  move on to late mornings, uncommitted afternoons, four day weekends, and decking out that new patio we just put in!!  Oh, did I forget to tell you about that?  Well, more news on that is just around the corner.  That post may get the title of "How to Move Quickly Toward Divorce!".  Just kidding................hmmmmm!