Sunday, May 13, 2012

Moses, Joseph, David, and Mom

I've been hearing and reading lately about different people in the Bible and God has allowed me to see clearly that these heroes that I've learned about all my life are flawed.  I mean, I knew their stories but their mistakes and imperfections while also growing spiritually and being used mightily by God have really stuck out to me this time. 

Joseph started out being a tattletale and annoyed everyone in his family by bragging but, boy, did God use Joseph.  He later had an amazing work ethic, didn't fall easily into temptation, was forgiving, and he honored and worshipped God above all else.

Moses let his anger get away from him and was later afraid to speak out even though God gave him all that he needed to do so.  But then he was responsible for thousands of Jews making it to the promised land and he agreed to be the vessel that God used to administer the ten commandments.

David was available to be used by God from pretty much the very beginning and was called "a man after God's own heart".  But David had flaws too.  He succumbed to temptation that ruined other's lives and even resulted in a death.  He was also a pretty sad excuse for a father.  But God used him.

So how does Mary Jacqueline Bibb Walton fit into this scenario?  Well, she's no Joseph, Moses, or David, I'll admit, but for me, anyway, she was used by God.  As I grew up I was always aware that my Mom desired God and His ways.  She was distracted by a large family and disappointments along the way, allowing Satan in the mix to rob her of happiness sometimes, but she always went back to the foundation of why she was here, to know God better and to glorify Him in her life.  Like Joseph, Moses, and David, she was flawed.  She was a sinner and her actions sometimes had harmful results.  But, for me, ultimately she was the arrow that pointed to God.  I was influenced spiritually by several different people along the way but Mom was the one that caused me to desire to know God better and to further study His Word.  

So on this Mother's Day 2012 I'm thankful that God has provided His Word so that we might learn about imperfect people and how He used them.  And I'm thankful for  my mom and the spiritual legacy she left to me.