Saturday, May 12, 2012

Iowa holiday

For me, it's always so nice to get away.  And this time my destination of choice was Iowa where I was able to visit my good and long time friend, Shari.  I've written about her before but Shari used to be my neighbor here on Georgetown Dr.  She and her fun family,  unfortunately for me, moved back to her home state of Iowa about 17 years ago and we have written weekly letters back and forth ever since. 

Shari is really busy right now getting her last child and only son graduated from high school but she made time for me and we had a great time visiting and seeing the Iowa sights. 

On Saturday, after her son Ryan's soccer game, we ate outside at a restaurant right on the Mississippi River.  Such a beautiful day!  Shari invited her friend Dottie to eat with us because she thought we might hit it off and we did!  I definitely have a new friend now and that's always fun.  The three of us just sat, eating and talking for three hours.  So lovely to be able to relax and enjoy visiting. 
 


Saturday night was Ryan's prom so I was glad to get this picture of  mom and son.  He's her youngest child and only son so when he leaves for California to go to college this fall there will be an empty spot for sure.  I feel like her sadness probably won't last long though since her eighth grandchild in three years will be born in September.  Yeah, amazing!  The eight are spread pretty evenly between her three beautiful daughters.     

Apparently they have black squirrels
 in this part of Iowa so of course
 I had to get a picture of that.

Here's how the whole idea for the trip started.  I offered to make Ryan a t-shirt quilt for his graduation.  And I didn't want to trust the mail options to get it there safely so I just decided to hand deliver it.  They were more than appreciative and I know the quilt will be treasured.
And here's Shari and her husband, Kip.  He's one of the pastors of
a church there and they make a pretty great ministry team. 
Thanks again, guys, for hosting me!