Monday, October 17, 2011

Garage Sale #5 (I think)

I haven't really kept up with how many garage sales we've had at my dad's house but I think this one was #5.  Anyway, it's become somewhat of a tradition/family reunion now and doing it on the same weekend as Whitesboro's Peanut Festival just adds to the fun!

This one brought a sobering reminder that most of the stuff we were selling this year came from the storage unit that my dad had acquired and was cleaning out in June when he fell and broke his hip. We made lemonade out of a big fat lemon though and wouldn't let a little ol' set back like that take our fun away. Dad's doing great, by the way, and doesn't even walk with a cane now. And did I mention that he's 95? Yep, Kelly calls him a freak of nature and I have to agree......and be very thankful in the process. We don't let Dad do much of the work for the sale but he's a pretty good task master and keeps us in line!

We had several people tell us that coming to our garage sale has become a tradition for them and that just made our day. A couple of ladies from the Assembly of God church shopped and then invited us to come to the Peanut Festival booth the next day to buy some of their delicious peanut brittle. Yummy! Then some hispanic ladies bought about $1 worth of our wares and turned around and sold us $15 of their phenomenal homemade tortillas! We did have money left in the coffers when it was all said and done but it was kind of a surprise!


Not all of my siblings were able to come this year but I guess we made it without the two oldest, David, and Linda.  Dave actually came up Saturday night after we'd all cleaned up and left (convenient, huh?  We thought so too!).  I guess I won't be too hard on him though because he spent his visit building a new deck for Dad.  I'll write about that in my next blog.  Unfortunatley Linda wasn't able to be with us this year but she does live in Idaho, after all. 

I didn't take a lot of pictures but I'll post what I have so you can enjoy the garage sale too! : )

Amy and Erin were great helpers and also hosted their annual cookie sale.  Hey, don't even call me if you're just dying to have those beautiful lamp shades.  You'll just have to look elsewhere and hope to find an equal treasure!! 


Kelly brought all the lumber to build Dad's new deck.  He and Roger spent most of Saturday tearing down the old one.  That's Dad on the left.
This is me and my fun sister Suzi.  She's quite a sport when it comes to garage sale time.  We make pretty good partners selling trash and treasures.  Her grandkids weren't able to come this year so Suzi and I had a little vacay at Dad's B & B! 

Kristie and Tim helped a ton this year and it was so much fun to watch little Jayna play and pretty much just be happy!  They're a sweet family!