Saturday, March 12, 2011

A tribute

At the risk of making Bob jealous, let me just say that I LOVE Dick Van Dyke!  And more specifially, the Dick Van Dyke Show.  He's just so talented and funny.  That group of actors was just a perfect mix.  And can you believe that in all of the five or six seasons of episodes I don't remember one that had potty or sexual humor?  And it still remains one of the funniest shows available.  Amazing!  Can today's sitcom writers not see the popularity of shows like this one,  I Love Lucy, and The Andy Griffith Show and get a clue??  Do none of them have a creative or original idea to their name?  

I heard an interview with Carol Burnett quite a few years ago and her opinion of the downhill slippery slope of shabby sitcom writing was this:  When those original sitcoms were written, the material was drawn from personal experience because they had nothing else to draw from.  But now writers draw from what they've already seen on the screen and aren't creating but just redoing, over and over and over again!  (Sidebar:  I personally think The Carol Burnett show was part of that downhill slope.  It was full of potty humor also)

So are we just so primitive that we'll only laugh or react to crass and vulgar humor?  The answer is definitely not.  But what we've become is lazy and apathetic.  And we've become dependent on the escape that television is to all of us.  I'm just grateful that shows like The Dick Van Dyke show are still available so we can know what "real" humor is.  At least the kind of humor that, if we HAVE to depend on television, won't contribute to the dumbing down of our minds.

If you've taken the time to hear me vent, thank you for your patience! :)  Next time I plan on sharing more pictures of our fabulous cruise!