Monday, March 21, 2011

If I may........

I just heard this quote so am making it mine for the day......no, the week.......no, why not my whole life?!

            "It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself."       Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

And while I'm feeling preachy (if my kids are reading this, they're now wondering if I'm ever NOT preachy)................The sermon I heard  yesterday prompted me to think about what or who Christians mirror their lives after. 

             Is it mirrored after the last book we read?
               "               "           "     latest popular TV show?
               "               "           "     most recent celebrity in the latest 
                                                  gossip magazine?
               "               "           "     most influentual people in our community,
                                                  work place, or school?
               "               "           "     thinking and writings of philosophers?
               "               "           our own thinking?
               "               "           the  traditions we grew up with in our homes
                                            or the church?
            Or are our lives mirrored after the truth and doctrine         
            that we read in God's answer to all questions, the Bible?

Something my pastor said yesterday that has glued itself to my brain is this:  When we close the Bible and make decisions based on our own thinking or the thinking of some philosophers, then we will die.  (Is that what's happening to our country now?)

Okay, I'm through preaching........for today! :)