Monday, January 10, 2011

Baby it's cold outside!


Since it's so cold outside right now I thought I'd bring out a little spring in the winter.  Actually I should say a little fall in winter because, believe it or not, this beautiful heirloom iris bloomed right before Thanksgiving, about two days before our first frost.  For those of you who aren't familiar with irises, it's very unusual for them to bloom anytime other than the early spring.  So I was thrilled when a friend gave me one of her bulbs.

It all started when I was doing preliminary address varification for the census back in April of 2009.  I was working out in the country west of town and came across a couple of houses that didn't match the information I had.  So as I drove down the curving driveway to get to the first house I knew I was in a special place because of the beautiful plants and flowers.  When I arrived and knocked on the door I got the information I needed from the owner and then she very graciously offered to give me a tour of her gardens. 

Amazing is about the best way to describe what she showed me.  She uses only plants native to Texas and usually finds what she needs on the side of the road or in fields.  In fact a lot of what she grows might be considered weeds but they were the most beautiful weeds I've seen.  She has a knack that could rival that of Martha Stewart.  She gave me seeds from some and then we came upon the iris.  My newfound friend's talent was impressive enough but apparently her husband has his own abilities.  He tears down, moves, and restores old buildings for a living so once when he was tearing down an old cabin he found these heirloom irises and dug some up for my friend.  And now I am able to enjoy this unique iris whose history may goes back to when this area was settled. 

I have some iris in my garden but I will always treasure this small but interesting and unique gift.