Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ahhh! Jury Duty!

Okay, call me crazy (it's okay, I'm aware of the problem!) but I find myself fantasizing about jury duty.  I had to report last Tuesday and it worked perfectly because the first day of my second job's work week starts on Tuesday.  So I took off work to start my new distraction from the everyday humdrum routine of life. 

They only kept me that first day for about thirty minutes, long enough to watch the humorous but informative video about my duty as a citizen and long enough for them to tell me to come back the next day at the same time.  Yay!  Another day off work!  Don't get me wrong!  I love my job driving people around but who doesn't enjoy an unexpected day off now and then?  And here I was with not one, but two days off.  How cool is that?  And I get paid for it to boot!  Granted, the first day was only worth $6 but the next day was a whopping $40!!  Hey, that's almost as much as I make when I drive so don't be quick to knock it!

So I went back the next day to go through the process of finding out if I would be the lucky one out of six to serve on a jury deciding whether or not an ordinary looking, about my age, guy was guilty of abusing his ex-wife.  Well, you guessed it--I wasn't picked.  Darn it!  I was a little disappointed at first because I thought the whole experience might be kind of interesting.  But it didn't take long for me to figure out that now that I wasn't one of the "lucky" ones, I'd have another day off to do whatever I wanted to do!  

Well, THEN, apparently they at work assumed I would check in if I wasn't chosen but I didn't know that so I didn't get scheduled for the next and last day of my work week!  Woo hoo!!  A whole week off of work!  Now that's what I call a gift!  

And now you know why I find myself every once in awhile just daydreaming about my lovely jury duty experience.