Saturday, February 23, 2013

Donny Osmond and the little old lady

My friend, Deanna, came over for lunch yesterday and this is what we had for dessert.  I probably need to practice my food photography so if you can't tell, it's a brownie with ice cream, topped with chocolate sauce.  And there's a story that goes with the sauce.

When I was a pre-teen I was a Donny Osmond fan.  Okay, I'll admit it--I was a fanatic.  The word was created for people like me.  I'm just sayin'.  It was bad.
Anyway, when I was about twelve, the Osmonds were coming to do a concert in Ft. Worth and I absolutely HAD to go.  My mom said that my friend, Debbie, and I could go but that I had to pay not only for my ticket but my sister's ticket because she would be our chaperone.  Suzy is only two years older than me so I'm not sure how useful she was as a chaperone but at the time I was willing to agree with whatever it took for me to get to that concert. 
I'm not sure how the little job came about but I think my mom saw an ad in the paper.  Anyway, there was this elderly lady that was looking for someone to help her clean and organize her home.  I guess she knew I was twelve because of my short stature, but for whatever reason, the lady agreed to let me "help" her.  
I don't remember a whole lot about the cleaning and organizing part except I have this vision in my mind of a room full of boxes.  But what I remember most (and I think this is mostly what happened) is the lady making homemade chocolate sauce and the two of us sitting at her kitchen table talking, having the most delicious ice cream and sauce I'd ever tasted.  Every time I went she'd serve me that ice cream and that sauce and we'd talk.  So when I became an adult I found a recipe that I'm pretty sure is exactly or very close to what she made.  And it's still so yummy. 
And I got to go to the concert!  The lady (I sure wish I could remember her name....Mrs. Bo or Beau something, it was two words) took me to the bank when my "job" was over to cash a check and hand over the money for the tickets.  I can still remember that ride to the bank and I'm not sure which of us was more excited for me, the lady or me.  She even reminisced about the Rudy Vallee concert she went to as a young girl.  
And the concert was, of course, perfect.  I told myself I wouldn't be one of those girls that went crazy, screaming and all, but it took about one song and I was on my feet, screaming with excitement and frenzy.  Oh, the life of a twelve year old......fun memory for sure!