Monday, June 4, 2012

Those Were the Days

This is what I wore to church this morning.......finally!  I bought this dress on the internet about five years ago and just haven't had the courage to wear it till now.  I'm not sure what prompted the wearing of it today but I just put it on and walked out the door!  I'm a sucker for vintage clothing because of the detail and the femininity.  Women really knew how to dress in the 40's and 50's.   I have a way-on-the-backburner goal of someday making a fru-fru dress similar to those you can see Lucy wear on the "I Love Lucy Show".  Lots of lace and satin!









My mom gave me this dress a few years ago.  It belonged to my grandmother and, boy, was she small!  I actually wore it once back when Bob and I were on the "no flour, no sugar" diet and I'd lost 25 pounds.  It's probably equivalent to a size 8 of today so there's no getting into these days unfortunately.  Of course I love it because it was Grandma's but I also love it because of the lace and the navy slip that goes under it.  So feminine!

Here's a close-up of the same dress  you can see the lace better.


The dress below is one I bought at a garage sale quite awhile ago.  It fits me but I'll probably never wear it and I'm sad about that.  The lace and detail is so cool but it looks a little like a go-go dress or something so I'm just not confident enough to be in public.  Plus, the diamond look trim around the waist and the lace overlay make it kind of dressy and I don't do dressy much.  Also, I just can't get past the fact that it gives the look of wearing your undergarments on the outside!!  I'm just sayin'!