Thursday, June 7, 2012

Phase Two--Lasagna Anyone?

I can't really take credit for this lasagna method of gardening. I got the idea from my sister, Linda, a couple of years ago so she's the one that did all the research and experimentation. I've just been able to benefit from her brainwork and good advice. Not the first time she's been a wealth of knowledge that I've greedily seized upon. Gardening is just one of her many talents!
The idea is to make starting a garden bed easier by not having to dig out the existing soil.  I dug out a little trench to lay the border of bricks for my new garden area that matches the other side.   

Then I laid a thick (when I say thick, I mean LOTS of newspaper--I had to go and raid the dumpster at the Denton Record Chronicle to have enough) layer of newspaper on top of the grass and then soak all of it. 
Just a view from the other end.  I actually did spray just a little weed killer around the border of this area but not in the center.  I wanted to deter any stray weeds from sneaking out the edges.  I also attached a long piece of small mesh chicken wire along the chain link fence so my soil wouldn't fall out on the neighbor's side. 
About half of my soil came from what Kaylee and Bob dug up to make room for the patio but I did go and get a quarter of a yard of compost for a whopping $7 from our local garden center.  And here on the right is the final product.  You'll have to just imagine how beautiful it's gonna look in a year or two.  And just ignore Bobby's boxers hanging on the line.........sheesh!  Who took that picture anyway??  : )





And this last picture is the view from my kitchen window.  Not much color in my garden right now but I think I need to rethink some of the plants I have in there.  And maybe bite the bullet and add a few annuals.  Oh, and the fencing you see is a must for keeping the chicken's claws out.  The things I put up with to have fresh eggs!