Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Winter Sowing

I love after Christmas because that means hunkering down for Texas' two month version of a winter and then .........SPRING!

I love looking forward to Spring and one of the ways I do that is winter sowing.  When I'm out and about in my SPAN van I'll sometimes glean seeds from pretty flowers I see along the way and sometimes I'll find them when I walk or ride my bike.  Free is always the best way to grow flowers, right?

So I cut my milk jugs in half, fill the bottom with potting soil, plant my tiny little future beauties, and then wait.  Wait till they freeze and thaw a few times and when it starts getting warmer they'll peek their little heads out in their personal green house and start growing.  When they get too big for the jug I'll pick out the strongest plants and transplant them to bigger pots or the ground.  Two years ago I enjoyed a real beauty called a castor plant.  When it didn't come back on it's own I went searching and found seeds at a house over by the university.  I can't wait to have that plant grace my garden once again.