Sunday, December 29, 2019

All the Little Things

My dad passed away this morning.  The last two years have been a long, hard road for him and I'll admit I won't miss them.  But I'll miss all the years before with him and all the little things.

When Mom passed away in 2005, Dad and I had to sort of get acquainted.  I'd been going there at least every other week since I've been married but it seemed like my visits were mostly with Mom.  Dad was there but may or may have not been in the room and just pretty much stayed in the background.  So, when Mom passed, it seemed to be a little awkward.  But Dad and I struggled through to what turned out to be a pretty close relationship.  Which resulted in all the "little things". 

I'll miss going to eat lunch with him.  And the family trips across Willis Bridge to eat catfish.  For many years.  I'll miss the garage sales.  I'll miss Christmas shopping with him (mostly Walmart and Sam's) every year to get every member of the family a gift because he "wanted them to be able to open something".  I'll miss how he kept calendars everywhere, especially the ones Linda made for him for about 35 Christmases.  He layered them on the wall but kept every one hung.  I'll miss his perfect sense of direction on our random but fun drives in the country.  I'll so miss the funny things he said like that he wanted to live to 113 so he could be a teenager again.  And when he got his two favorite restaurants (Cracker Barrel and Golden Corral) confused and called them The Golden Crapper!  I'll miss talking with him about investing and taking walks (fast ones even into his 90's) around the park trail.  And I'll miss him in his overalls. 

It was hard watching Dad get so old and fail so quickly because of the hip breaks and surgeries and then hang in there like a trooper for the last couple of years.  But there are so many other, better years to remember so I'll choose to do that.  I know that Dad's walking around now, free of pain, discovering what there is to be discovered in heaven.  And someday I'll meet him and Mom there.  But, for now, I'll treasure the 
                                        memories and the little things. 

                                                    William Rex Walton  1916-1919