Saturday, December 15, 2012

Speaking of..........



In writing my last post my thoughts were turned back thirty years to that first special tree of our marriage.  As I said, when I was a little girl my family would go to my mother's cousin's property north of Whitesboro and hunt for just the right Christmas cedar.  So Bob and I carried on the tradition.  Here's an oh, so young Bob with our find in the back of his 1950 Chevy pickup.    
 

And here is the final product all decked out in it's first-year-of-marriage glory.  You can't see them but it's got these tiny wooden ornaments that I found in a magazine and ordered through the mail.  For those of you younger than 30, that's called mail order.  Kind of amazing to think about now.

I'm not sure how many trees we trekked in the woods for but not long after we had babies the cousins sold the land, allergies got involved, and time just didn't allow the journey.  But we've always had a live tree.  We get them at various places and actually even found a tree farm close by last year so were able to hunt and chop.  They were sold out this year, unfortunately.   
 

And that brings us all the way to 2012 and oh, how times have changed since Bob and I made that journey for our first tree.  Here's Kaylee, Bobby, and Bobby's sweet girlfriend, Jennifer conquering their prey at Home Depot.  Each year I think maybe this is the year I'll get a fake tree.  But then I think about times like last Sunday when we went out as a family in search of the perfect Christmas tree.......and then I think, nope, not this year.  Maybe next............