Friday, July 6, 2012

Italian Cream Cake and the roomie!

It started waaaaay back in the sophomore year of my college days at good ol' Wayland Baptist College.  We were moving in the much nicer and bigger upper classman girls dorm that year and Cindy was my roommate.  Cindy was an outstanding roommate too but I didn't even begin to understand the benefits that she would bring to the table (literally) until she brought them to the table, or the desk, as was the case in our sweet little suite that we shared with Dorla and Sherry.  As I would find out very soon that year Cindy had a very talented and generous aunt that would supply her every so often with an Italian Cream Cake.  A whole one!  This cake was rich, filled with pecans and coconut and topped with a cream cheese/butter icing.  And I was hooked from then till now.  It is my favorite cake and I make one every chance I get which isn't often because if I make it then I eat it.  I mean, I guess Cindy and I could eat a whole cake all by ourselves back in the day but that was, well, back in the day and things have changed and rearranged a little, or a lot maybe.........well, let's just say I can't afford to eat a whole cake anymore.  

Anyway, because Bob is trying to be careful about what he eats and because I can't eat a whole cake by myself anymore I simply don't get to bake that often.  But I've been thinking about an Italian Cream Cake since about Christmas and it's just time.  We're having some friends over tomorrow night so there it is, my excuse.  And I'm taking full advantage. 

I love Italian Cream Cake because of how it tastes, obviously, but I also love it because it's such an old fashioned kind of cake.  The recipe has instructions like "beat egg whites till stiff, but not dry, and fold into batter" and "add flour and buttermilk alternately to creamed mixture, beginning with flour and ending with flour".  I never really have understood why you have to add them alternately and why you HAVE to begin and end with flour but I do it.  And I love doing it.  It helps me sort of touch base with how those little old ladies of long ago did it when they baked for the church covered dish supper.   
Cindy put up with me for two and a half years and we sure had some great times together.  Every time I make this cake I think about her and the thoughtfulness of her aunt that showed her love in the yummiest way.