Sunday, May 29, 2011

Things I've learned

About three or four years ago I decided to keep a notebook of "things I've learned" because I forget stuff.  And also, maybe it will be useful to make life a little easier for my kids and grandkids down the road.  Well, I can pretend that they'll read the notebook, can't I??  It's sort of like preaching from the grave!  Yeah, genius, right? : ) 

Anyhoo........I thought I'd just jot down  a few of the little gems I've learned over the years and you can see what you think and do with them what you will.  Just don't tell me what you want to do with them!

Here goes:

*When you wake up in the morning, get dressed first thing.  It'll help you get going for the  day and be more productive.  (This is probably only relevant for stay-at-home moms) 

*If you have children in the car, don't use the cell phone.  Before there were cell phones I found this to be the best bonding time with my kids.

*The safest place to be is with people who love God supremely.

*Happiness is a brand new Sudoku puzzle!

*Shop weekly for groceries.  Make a weekly menu and save money and stress.  My sister, Linda, carries this further and shops monthly.  What a woman!

*Be patient and let unhappiness, discontent, anger, and negativity pass. (Yeah, I've had 'em all!)  Those things don't last.  What lasts is your reaction to them.  (maybe I should change the title of this to "things I'm LEARNING.......poor Bob!)

*When my thoughts are teeming with the truth of God's words then it will truly be "well with my soul".

*Don't let someone else's behavior change who you are.  (Dr. Laura)

*Happiness is having access to some sort of blowing cool air when a hot flash hits! : )

*And last but not least, just this morning I learned six very important things to do when you're raising children.  (I'm keeping this handy for grandchildren........someday!)
     1. Read to them.  
     2. Pray with them and over them.  Thank God in front of them for their positives AND negatives.
     3.  Introduce them to institutions (e.g.: church, extended family, allegiance to government)
     4.  Talk with them (explain why!)
     5.  Demonstrate (e.g. parents love for each other and fear and respect for God)
     6.  Don't be afraid you're going to kill them.  In other words, discipline and punishment are important.